Golf has been played in Dooks since 1889 which makes the course one of the oldest Golf Links in Ireland. Originally named Dooks & Caragh GC, it was affiliated to the GUI in 1903.
For 100 years the links remained a steadfastly quirky, 9 holes monument to those early days as the members resisted all efforts at modernisation. It was extended to eighteen holes in the 1970s under the guidance of Eddie Hackett. The course was further enhanced in 2002 by Martin Hawtree.